Statewide tornado drill set for Tuesday

By ALI OVERSTREET
Reporter
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — The University of Central Missouri will join other schools and community agencies statewide to participate in a tornado drill at 10 a.m. Tuesday.
“All state, county, city outdoor warning sirens will activate at 10 a.m., including those in Jackson County for the UCM-Lee’s Summit site,” said Gloria Michalski, director of Johnson County Emergency Management. “The thought of the whole process is to allow for everyone to look at their plans for evacuation, figure out their safe place and communicate the plan to family. We want the drill to help make those plans work smoothly and efficiently.”
Jeff Murphy, assistant director of media relations at UCM, said faculty, staff and students on both the Warrensburg campus and at UCM-Lee’s Summit campus will participate in the drill to practice appropriate measures that should be taken during a tornado.
The drill is expected to last less than 15 minutes, according to a university news release.
The campus community will be notified by an outdoor warning siren, building public address system and TextCaster text message subscription service. The “all clear” will be given via TextCaster when the drill is finished, Murphy said.