The Latest: Milwaukee chief says man was shot in the neck

(MILWAUKEE, AP) — The Latest on violence in Milwaukee following the shooting of a man by police (all times local):
12:40 p.m.
Milwaukee’s police chief says an 18-year-old man suffered a single gunshot wound to the neck during unrest on the city’s north side, but that his life is not in danger.
The man, whose name has not been released, was shot late Sunday during a demonstration to protest the killing of a black man by a police officer a day earlier.
Police have said officers used an armored vehicle to retrieve the injured man and take him to a hospital. Police did not say who shot him, but that they are looking for suspects.
Chief Ed Flynn said at a news conference Monday that the man does “not appear to be in danger.”
Flynn also said that officers came under fire Sunday but that no officers returned fire.
___
12:35 p.m.
Milwaukee’s mayor says a 10 p.m. curfew on teenagers will from now on be strictly enforced.
Mayor Tom Barrett said at a news conference Monday that youths and parents should take note that all teenagers must be off the streets by 10 p.m. He did not say what would happen to teens who are found outside in Milwaukee past the curfew deadline.
The clampdown follows two nights of violent unrest in protest following the fatal shooting of a black man by police on the city’s north side.
Police Chief Ed Flynn says 11 men and three women, all from Milwaukee, were arrested Sunday for state disorderly conduct.
Barrett also praised pastors and community group leaders who are engaged in trying to keep the peace, saying they are making the situation better.
___
12:25 p.m.
City leaders have called on members of Milwaukee’s faith community to continue to help to calm the unrest that’s damaged a north side neighborhood following the police shooting of a black man.
Police Chief Edward Flynn said members of Milwaukee Inner City Congregations Allied for Hope and other representatives of the faith community have gone to the neighborhood to try to tamp down violence.
Flynn says he believes they have made a difference, resulting in less destruction Sunday night than the previous night. The chief says there were 14 arrests for disorderly conduct. He says seven law enforcement officers were hurt by rocks and other objects thrown at them or their squads Sunday.
He says the police department’s ShotSpotter technology detected 30 gunshots in the neighborhood overnight.
___
12:00 p.m.
Milwaukee’s mayor and police chief say outsiders are fomenting the unrest that has wreaked havoc in a north side neighborhood for two nights since a black man was fatally shot by a black officer.
At a news conference Monday, Mayor Tom Barrett said those outsiders are trying to damage a great neighborhood, where he lived for 11 years. Barrett says he’s concerned about the economic damage being done to the Sherman Park neighborhood.
Police Chief Edward Flynn says the fatal shooting of Sylville Smith on Saturday was a flashpoint for underlying tensions. The chief says many people outside the neighborhood are using that for their own agendas.
Flynn says three Milwaukee officers and four Milwaukee County sheriff’s deputies were struck by glass or rocks in Sunday night’s unrest.
___
9:35 a.m.
The Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office says four deputies were hurt when demonstrators clashed with law enforcement for a second night in a Milwaukee neighborhood.
Sheriff’s spokeswoman Fran McLaughlin says the deputies were hit by concrete or rocks and that two of them haven’t returned to duty.
Two dozen officers in riot gear on Sunday confronted protesters who were throwing rocks and other objects at police near where Sylville K. Smith was fatally shot a day earlier. Police tried to disperse the crowd and warned of arrests.
Police say an 18-year-old Milwaukee man was shot and seriously injured during the unrest Sunday. Officers used an armored vehicle to retrieve him and take him to a hospital. Police haven’t said who shot the man, but that they continue to look for suspects.
____
6:40 a.m.
Police say an 18-year-old Milwaukee man was seriously injured when he was shot during a late night protest over the police killing of a black man.
Authorities said Monday that the man was shot during a second night of unrest in the Sherman Park neighborhood on Milwaukee’s north side. Officers used an armored vehicle to retrieve the injured man and take him to a hospital. There has been no update on his condition.
Police say they are seeking suspects in the shooting.
About two dozen officers in riot gear confronted protesters who were throwing rocks and other objects at police near where Sylville Smith was killed Saturday. There was no repeat of the widespread destruction of property that marred Saturday night’s unrest.
Police Chief Edward Flynn said Smith was shot after he turned toward an officer with a gun in his hand.
___
1:30 a.m.
Police say they are making multiple arrests in Milwaukee after a second night of unrest over the police killing of a black man.
The arrests follow skirmishes between protesters and police but without the widespread destruction of property that marked the first night after the man’s death.
Protesters earlier threw rocks and other objects at officers and police say shots were fired in a handful of locations. One person was injured by gunfire.
The number of arrests was not immediately known.
___
1 a.m.
Police say one person was shot at a Milwaukee protest on Sunday evening and officers used an armored vehicle to retrieve the injured victim during a second night of unrest over the police shooting of a black man.
But there was no repeat of the widespread destruction of property.
Some two dozen officers in riot gear confronted a group who were throwing rocks and other objects at police near where the black man was fatally shot a day earlier. Police moved in to try to disperse the crowd.
Police Chief Edward Flynn said the man whose death touched off Saturday night’s rioting, Sylville Smith, was shot after he turned toward an officer with a gun in his hand.