Campus Contruction Continues: Steak ‘n Shake, MIC make strides as Humphreys remains closed

PHOTO BY BRANDON BOWMAN/PHOTOGRAPHER
As construction on Steak n Shake continues, the university secured a food truck that will be on campus until Friday, Aug. 19.
PHOTO BY BRANDON BOWMAN/PHOTOGRAPHER As construction on Steak ‘n Shake continues, the university secured a food truck that will be on campus until Friday, Aug. 19.

By CASSIE SLANA
Senior Writer

(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — Multiple construction projects are simultaneously underway across campus, including the introduction of Steak ‘n Shake, Humphreys Building closing for the semester and updates to the Missouri Innovation Campus. Here’s what you need to know:

Steak ‘n Shake

The new Steak ‘n Shake on campus will be located at Chick-fil-A’s previous location in the Elliott Student Union.

PHOTO BY BRANDON BOWMAN/PHOTOGRAPHER As construction on Steak 'n Shake continues, the university secured a food truck that will be on campus until Friday, Aug. 19.
PHOTO BY BRANDON BOWMAN/PHOTOGRAPHER
As construction on Steak ‘n Shake continues, the university secured a food truck that will be on campus until Friday, Aug. 19.

The main reason for the location of the new restaurant was an appeal to the students. Jim Halcombe, resident district manager for Sodexo, said the restaurant will be open on Sundays, and as a late-night option, it will pair well with the Union Bowling Center.

Patrick Bradley, senior director of university housing and residential dining services, told the Muleskinner in April that Sodexo and the Union will fund the approximately $700,000 project.

Halcombe said Steak ‘n Shake’s completion date was pushed back from Aug. 1 to Aug. 22. Sodexo secured a Steak ‘n Shake food truck that will be on campus from Monday, Aug. 15, to Friday, Aug. 19.

“We wanted to have a few extra days to put the final touches on the store,” Halcombe said. “One of the members involved with the construction mentioned availability of the food truck, and that works out very well.”

PHOTO BY BRANDON BOWMAN/PHOTOGRAPHER Construction on Steak 'n Shake began over the summer as crews put in a new countertop and cooking equipment.
PHOTO BY BRANDON BOWMAN/PHOTOGRAPHER
Construction on Steak ‘n Shake began over the summer as crews put in a new countertop and cooking equipment.

The menu available to the food truck has fewer options than what is offered within the full restaurant.

“It offers basically a double burger, fries and shakes,” Halcombe said.

The food truck will be located to the left of the entrance to the Union Bowling Center.

Missouri Innovation Campus

Construction for the Missouri Innovation Campus began in March 2016 after Lee’s Summit R-7 School District voters passed a $40 million no-tax-increase bond issue.

Janice Phelan, communications executive director for the R-7 School District, said steel is being placed on the property where the facility will stand in the near future.

Phelan said the project has remained within the budget and is scheduled to open as planned in August 2017.

Humphreys Building

UCM notified students Monday, Aug. 8, via email regarding the closure of the Humphreys Building for the fall semester.

The UCM Board of Governors invested $3 million to ensure the safety and quality of the building due to lead and asbestos, according to a July 19 memorandum sent by UCM to Humphreys employees.

PHOTOS SUBMITTED BY UNIVERSITY RELATIONS Construction on Humphreys Building will include office suite renovations, internal structure repairs and other updates while it remains closed for the fall semester.
PHOTOS SUBMITTED BY UNIVERSITY RELATIONS
Construction on Humphreys Building will include office suite renovations, internal structure repairs and other updates while it remains closed for the fall semester.

The project was expected to be completed by the commencement of classes. After re-evaluation mid-July, however, university officials decided to close the building to complete more large-scale renovations.

Construction will include furniture placement, office suite renovations, new carpet, ceiling tile installation, painting and internal structure repairs, according to the memorandum.

Construction has been extended until Nov. 4, and all classroom changes can be accessed via MyCentral.

Ellis Dining Center

Summer renovations of the Ellis Dining Center will bring an updated, modern atmosphere to the space.

“There’s a lot of stuff going on,” said Janet Decker, resident dining director. “Right now, we’re fast and furiously finishing it up to open on Aug. 12 for the Freshman Experience.”

Decker said new flooring, lighting and countertops will help modernize the space with more pleasing designs, and sectioned dining spaces will give the hall a different atmosphere.

“We’ve put a lot of time and energy into the dining area,” Decker said.

For seating during mealtimes, she said three distinct locations are separated by flooring, decor and furniture.

“The quiet zone is in the back with a whole different feel,” Decker said. “The carpet and furniture are different. We have rounded pillars with tables that wrap around them. There are high tops and outlets for phones and laptops.

“In the community area, we have round tables (and) bigger spaces for people to hang out. There are two TVs in that section as well.”

On the south side of the dining hall is an area where people can gather around televisions surrounded by graphics of the university’s athletic teams and individual players.

Most of the food options will remain the same, but an additional bakery section will offer treats for dessert.

Other available options will include a saute station, Coca-Cola products, Pepsi products, an iced tea machine and a hot chocolate station.

The dining hall will be open when classes resume, with additional updates regarding wall graphics taking place as the semester progresses.

Fitz Diner

Beginning in the fall, Fitz Diner will offer more variety to their menu. These additions include fried mac n’ cheese balls, Philly cheesesteaks, root beer floats, sweet potato fries and a variety of grilled chicken.

Fitz Diner opened in 2014 as a unique extension to the Fitzgerald Dining Center.

Lovinger Education Building

The first phase of construction in the Warren C. Lovinger Education Building is complete, according to university relations.

Phase I consisted of repairs to the wall around the roof and areas of exposed concrete around the building.

The project has remained within the $1 million budget for Phase I, and is allotted $779,500 for Phase II, according to a university update.

Phase II includes repairs to Lovinger’s exterior, preventing deterioration of the building’s structure.

Construction is set to be completed as scheduled in 2017.