'Taming the Shrew' in the Wild West

By SARA LAWSON
Assistant News Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — The Shakespearian classic “The Taming of the Shrew” is being transported to the Wild West, saloon girls and all, in the Highlander Theatre’s upcoming production.

The decision to make the artistic twist was Richard Herman’s, chair of the Department of Theatre and Dance. Herman adapted the script for the play keeping all the Shakespearian speech, including “thee” and “thou,” but replaced the swords with six-shooters.

Herman isn’t the first person to adapt “The Taming of the Shrew.” Maybe you’ve seen “10 Things I Hate About You,” or “Deliver us from Eva,” two movies which bring the play’s plot into the modern era.

Herman said he wanted to take the play into the past because he likes the specific era.

“I’ve always been enamored by with the West,” Herman said.

Herman said since the West was a male-dominated society with few women and the play is very male-dominated, the crossover works well.

Gabriel Livingston, sophomore theater major, said the play has an excellent cast and Herman is a visionary director.

“(The play) is classic literature that probably everyone had to read back in high school,” Livingston said.

The set for “The Taming of the Shrew” was designed by Guest Scenic Designer Todd Potter as part of the Meridith Harmon Sauer Guest Artist Series.

The play opens Wednesday night and will run through Sunday, April 9. Showings are in the Highlander Theatre, with curtain call at 7:30 p.m. every night except Sunday when the showing will be at 2 p.m.