New WPD chief to start position in April

By LEAH WANKUM
Managing Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — Warrensburg has a new chief of police.
City officials announced Rich Lockhart’s appointment Monday, March 8. He begins work here April 11.
Lockhart previously worked for the Kansas City Police Department for more than 25 years where he reached the rank of major. He completed assignments in patrol special operations and research and development before finishing his tenure in the human resources division as the department’s spokesman.
“I think the wide variety of experiences that I’ve had in Kansas City helps me understand the various aspects of policing in any community,” he said.
City Manager Harold Stewart, who was part of the hiring process, said Lockhart was selected out of five finalists because of his breadth of experience doing research and handling internal matters as public information officer for KCPD.
“The training and background he had – personality – all of it kind of came together for him to rise to the top and be our first choice as our new police chief,” Stewart said.
Stewart said 24 candidates applied for the position. The other finalists came from Texas, New Mexico, Iowa and Warrensburg.
After a meet-and-greet during a public panel March 3, with more than 20 members of the community, the five finalists sat before a second panel March 4. The panelists were Stewart; Shannon Ramey, director of human resources for the city; Scott Patrick, superintendent of the Warrensburg R-6 School District; Rick Solomon, a local leader in the community; Corey Bowman, associate vice provost for student services at UCM; and Chuck Orhre, a representative from Waters and Company, which is a Texas-based recruiting firm hired by the city.
Acting Chief of Police Tim Lowry said he plans to return to his position as lieutenant in charge of investigations in April. Warrensburg Mayor Robin Allen said Lowry has done a great job as acting chief in the 10 months since Bruce Howey retired, but she looks forward to Lockhart’s new appointment.
“It was like a breath of fresh air getting him hired,” Allen said. “Now we can move forward.”
Lockhart said he is excited and looking forward to working with the WPD staff and Warrensburg community.
“The first thing I want to do is listen, watch and talk, and just meet people, find out what are the biggest concerns inside the department and in the community and working on building partnerships to work on resolving those issues,” he said.