Jennies basketball falls 59-50 to top-ranked Fort Hays

Head coach Dave Slifer talks with an official during a timeout in the first half of a 59-50 loss to Fort Hays State Dec. 17. PHOTO BY ALEX AGUEROS.

Central Missouri likely embraced the challenge of hosting a No. 1 ranked Fort Hays State women’s basketball team.
Last season, the Jennies upset No. 1 ranked Emporia State 62-61 in front of a thin crowd at the Multi during the student body’s winter break. There was a similar climate Thursday, but Central Missouri fell to the Tigers 59-50 and dropped their record to 2-7 (1-3 MIAA) on the season.
Four Jennies led the team in scoring with 10 points apiece. Senior guard Shelby Winkelmann scored 10 points on 4 of 15 shooting. Senior forward Danielle Randle scored 10 points and had 10 rebounds in 25 minutes off the bench.
Senior forward Ashley Jones fights for position in the post against a Fort Hays defender. Jones finished with 10 points and four rebounds in 21 minutes. PHOTO BY ALEX AGUEROS

Senior forward Ashley Jones scored 10 points and had four rebounds.
Fort Hays shot 11 more field goals than the Jennies in the first half due to turnovers and rebounding. At halftime, the Central Missouri had eight less rebounds than the Tigers, five more turnovers and trailed 35-21.
Jones said Fort Hays played like a No. 1 ranked team.
“All respect to them,” Jones said. “They won.”
While the Jennies kept stride with Fort Hays in the second half, their low point came in the third period.
Junior Fort Hays guard Nikola Kacperska calls the next offensive set for the Tigers in the first half of a 59-50 victory over the Jennies at the Multipurpose Building Dec. 17. She finished with six points, nine rebounds and two assists. PHOTO BY ALEX AGUEROS.

To avoid a violation on the inbounds pass, Duffy lobbed the ball to Jones and two Tiger defenders near half court. The pass was stolen, but Chelsea Mason missed the jumper. A three pointer from junior guard Nikola Kacperska extended the FHSU lead to a game-high 21.
Jones and Duffy led a Central Missouri 12-0 run to close the third period.
With a 10 point performance Thursday, Winkelmann needs 15 points to reach 1,000 career points.
Central Missouri hosts Nebraska-Kearney (5-5, 1-3 MIAA) Saturday at 1:30 p.m.