Service continues in Warrensburg

PHOTO SUBMITTED BY ERICA COLLINS
Volunteers paint a local house during Project SERVE in October 2014.
PHOTO SUBMITTED BY ERICA COLLINS Volunteers paint a local house during Project SERVE in October 2014.

By ANDREA LOPEZ
Features Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — In its eighth year, the service effort that was once known as “Be the Church,” has evolved to become Project SERVE. With the winter season near, local churches have organized the two-day event scheduled for Oct. 17-18, to help assist those in the community needing a little extra help.

PHOTO SUBMITTED BY ERICA COLLINS

Erica Collins, Project SERVE coordinator and housing resources coordinator for Pathways Community Health, said she’s looking forward to seeing the community come together this weekend.
“Those who receive the services look forward to having things done that they cannot do for themselves, or cannot afford to do,” she said.
Collins said individuals are chosen to receive these services with the help of local agencies and churches. Some are also referred.
With an expected 50 to 75 volunteers, service projects will include yard work, building birdhouses, painting, singing and helping sort medication.
“It is one thing to talk about caring and giving – it is something else to actually do it,” Collins said. “If something is important to a person, they will spend their time and energy on it to make sure it is well cared for.”
Volunteers are still being accepted. To sign up, visit servemo.org. Monetary donations are also being accepted and will be used for supplies.
The Warrensburg churches and organizations that are supporting the event include: First United Methodist Church, Abundant Life Ministries, Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, First Episcopal Church and Boy Scouts Troop 400.
For more information, contact Erica Collins at [email protected].