Sky lantern on roof of Greenwood apartments causes fire

Written by Muleskinner Staff

By LEAH WANKUM
Managing Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — A small fire broke out on the roof of one of the Greenwood Park Apartments this weekend.
The apartments, located west of the Fraternity Complex along Washington Street, are part of the University Housing system.
Jeremy Vanwey, fire prevention officer, said the Warrensburg Fire Department responded to a call around 11:45 p.m. Friday reporting a roof was on fire.
Vanwey said firefighters were able to extinguish the fire fairly quickly.
“We utilized our aerial ladder truck to get personnel better access to the roof just to confirm we had it out,” Vanwey said. “We checked the attic space in the building (to ensure) that there weren’t any other hazards or that the fire hadn’t gotten into the interior portion of the building.”
Firefighters determined that a sky lantern was the cause of the fire because they found two other lanterns on the ground below the roof.
Johnson County Ambulance District responded to the call, but no injuries were reported.