Chuck Ambrose: UCM is 'leading to a greater degree'

PHOTO BY STEVEN SPEARS / NEWS EDITOR
UCM President Chuck Ambrose gives his annual state of the university address Thursday afternoon on the south side plaza of The Crossing - South at Holden.
Photo by 182032000483
PHOTO BY STEVEN SPEARS / NEWS EDITOR
UCM President Chuck Ambrose gives his annual state of the university address Thursday afternoon on the south side plaza of The Crossing – South at Holden.

By STEVEN SPEARS
News Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — The Crossing – South at Holden’s south side plaza was filled to the brim Thursday for UCM’s annual state of the university address.

PHOTO BY STEVEN SPEARS / NEWS EDITOR UCM President Chuck Ambrose gives his annual state of the university address Thursday afternoon on the south side plaza of The Crossing - South at Holden.
PHOTO BY STEVEN SPEARS / NEWS EDITOR

More than 150 faculty, staff and students flocked to the plaza to hear what President Chuck Ambrose had to say about the coming year.
Ambrose said UCM is taking great strides toward making higher education accessible and affordable while maintaining a strong focus on student success. He said much of this could be attributed to the work and leadership of staff and students at the university.
“In our own unique ways, all of us contribute to leading the university in a positive direction, consistent with our institution’s mission and goals,” Ambrose said. “At a time when the performance at many of our peer institutions is static following years of declining state support, as we begin this fall semester, I am enthusiastic to say the state of UCM is strong because of all of you.”
Mel Gross, manager of client services at the UCM Technology Support Center, said Ambrose’s creative speeches inspire people for the coming year.
“He’s got a good vision for the university as far as where we’re going, not just with the increased enrollment, but where that actually is taking us as an institution,” she said.
Ambrose said the university has been focusing on strategic plans in order to move away from the culture of decentralization that was relied upon for more than 20 years.
“Fortunately, our governing board put a strategic flag in the ground putting their governance focus on student success,” Ambrose said. “Strategic governance has allowed UCM to develop an institutional-wide strategy for effective and efficient utilization and allocation of resources linked to strategic objectives.”
Mathew Martinez, floor leader on the senate of the Student Government Association, said the university’s commitment to student success was the most integral part of the state of the university address.
“Specifically (UCM’s) focus on mentorship and that the system and the faculty are designed to support students,” Martinez said. “I think the mentorship relationship is very important and I’m excited that the university is prioritizing that.”
Martinez said attending the address helps him stay updated on university policies, which helps him when working with student government.
“I think it would benefit if all of student government were here and were more informed on these policies,” he said. “For (SGA members) to know the strategic governance and the (Strategic Resource Allocation Model), it would give us a better direction on what we need to do.”
Ambrose said UCM needs to balance university performance with institutional health in order to achieve its goal of “leading to a greater degree.”
“UCM’s performance can be measured in how we improve the way we educate students, innovate through research and give back to the community through service,” Ambrose said. “SRAM helps to make this possible… we must look at how the institution aligns itself, executes with excellence and renews itself to sustainably achieve performance aspirations.”