Fraternity Complex reopens: Air tests clear of mold

By STEVEN SPEARS
News Editor
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — Students moving into the Fraternity Complex can now breathe easy.
Jeff Murphy, assistant director of University Relations, said roughly 100 of the students living in Diemer Hall began to move back in to the Fraternity Complex Tuesday.
The university conducted air quality tests in mid-August, after custodial staff found an area in the Fraternity Complex they thought had a mold problem. All 114 students planning to live in the Fraternity Complex were relocated to Diemer Hall before the start of semester.
After air quality tests conducted by Roth Environmental confirmed the presence of mold in the complex, the university hired ServiceMaster to begin the cleanup.
Murphy said additional air quality tests were conducted Tuesday, Sept. 8 to make sure it was safe for students to move back in to the complex.
“The university has worked with ServiceMaster since mid-August to clean the facility, and then air quality samples were taken on Sept. 8 to ensure the facility was okay for move-in,” he said.
Murphy said that as an added precaution, the university installed 115 new mattresses during the cleanup process.
“Our priority has been to provide a safe living environment for our students in the Fraternity Complex,” Murphy said. “We appreciate the cooperation of all our students who were affected, and regret any inconvenience that this work may have created.”