Board accepts bid for parking project at UCM

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The University of Central Missouri Board of Governors’ Finance and Administration Committee accepted a $1.25 million bid from Phillips Paving, Inc., Kansas City, on Tuesday to build new parking facilities.
Work on the project is scheduled to begin immediately on the west side of campus, and the construction deadline is set for Sept. 3 for a total of 411 new parking spaces.
Board committee action took place during a special meeting by telephone. The lots are being constructed on the sites of previous property acquisitions on the west side of Washington Street, between South and King streets. The new student lots are situated west and southwest of The Crossing – South at Holden, UCM’s first student housing-retail project.
Chris Bamman, executive director of Facilities, Planning and Operations, said the Kansas City engineering firm Burns & McDonnell designed the new parking facilities to ensure they are equipped with proper drainage capabilities. They will include curbs, gutters, water retention basin, as well as green space and landscaping. The board of governors in April authorized the university to seek bids for the student parking project, and the finance and administration committee was authorized to approve a construction contract up to a maximum of $1.4 million. Bids were opened July 9. Funding for this project comes from University Parking Services Reserves and General Fund Reserves.
The university also is adding 53 new parking spaces on the north side of The Crossing just for use by business patrons, which is separate from this project.