UCM board accepts $3M bid to renovate golf course

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The UCM board of governors accepted a nearly $3 million bid to complete the final phase of renovation at the Keth Memorial Golf Course at Pertle Springs.
The board on Nov. 21 chose Frontier Construction Company of Pennsylvania to renovate the greens at the 18-hole golf course at Pertle Springs, according to a news release. Work is contingent upon the university’s ability to obtain private funding for approximately one-third of the total cost of the total $3.1 million project. It also will be funded through athletics reserve funds and a 15-year loan provided through the UCM Foundation. Contributing to the overall cost will be $144,128 for Burns & McDonnell Engineering, Inc., to manage the renovation.
Discussion about the golf course project began earlier this year, according to the news release. The university worked with CE Golf Design and Burns & McDonnell to develop a three-phase plan and schedule to renovate the greens, which were constructed in 1972. The first two phases of work are complete, and the next step is the actual renovation of course greens.
Once work is complete, the course is not expected to need major renovations for another 30 years or more. The golf course is an auxiliary enterprise, and user fees help cover ongoing maintenance. The construction, or final phase of the project, is expected to begin in spring 2015.
In other business, the board approved the out-of-state fee waiver for students who have official documentation as having obtained Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals status. This applies to both DACA students who have lived in Missouri no less than one year or who are students from eight contiguous states to Missouri that are included under the Choose Red Grant program, which allows eligible students from those states to pay in-state tuition to attend UCM.
Betsy Kreisel, interim vice provost for enrollment management, said that in 2012 the secretary of homeland security announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. Once obtaining DACA status, under federal law, the students are considered “lawfully present” in the U.S. and eligible for institutional financial aid and state grants and scholarships. In many cases, DACA students may have resided in the state for a long period, and even graduated from state-accredited high schools.
Kreisel said developing a policy to allow DACA students who meet specific criteria to receive a waiver for out-of-state fees is consistent with a trend that is beginning at other Missouri colleges and universities, and is a proactive measure to allow more DACA students to be admitted to UCM. The policy will be enacted Jan. 1, 2015.
The board also accepted a bid from Charter Business for cable television programming through July 31, 2019. The projected annual cost for an estimated 2,760 lines is $230,000. This affects university residential housing facilities, including The Crossing – South at Holden, as well as the Student Recreation and Wellness Center and selected UCM academic, administrative and athletic facilities.