Food drive returns to the State Fair

(SEDALIA, Mo.) – The Missouri State Fair is hosting its fourth annual food drive where canned food donations mean discounted gate admissions.
“Last year the Missouri State Fair collected 32,800 pounds of food,” said Fair Director Mark Wolfe. “Hunger is a serious problem in Missouri and we hope to bring this issue to light, while helping to diminish hunger in our communities.”
Canned food will be collected every day of the fair, Aug. 7-17, with a special discount gate admission promotion offered in exchange for food on Tuesday, Aug. 12. The promotion, Missouri Farmers Care Food Drive Tuesday, is being sponsored in cooperation with Midwest and St. Louis Ford Dealers and Missouri Farmers Care. The food will benefit the Missouri Food Bank Association.
Fairgoers will be able to exchange a canned food item for $1 off gate admission at Centennial Gate on Aug. 12. The discount may not be combined with other offers and is restricted to a $4 maximum savings per adult ticket, $3 maximum savings per senior ticket and $1 maximum savings per child ticket.
“Missouri farmers truly care about providing for families in need,” said Missouri Farmers Care Chairman Don Nikodim. “We are proud to partner with the Missouri State Fair again this year in the effort to provide high-quality food to those who need it most.”
A canned goods construction project will be on display at the Missouri Farmers Care booth located in the Agriculture Building. This year the project will be a 4-H emblem that will be about 14 feet tall and 15 feet wide, and include nearly 5,000 green, yellow, black and white cans donated by Bing’s Grocery Stores of Sedalia. The display is a tribute to the efforts of Missouri 4-H youth who have contributed more than 10,500 hours of service this year, fighting hunger within their communities.
Fairgoers will also have the opportunity to purchase a can of food at the Missouri Farmers Care booth and place the can in an unfinished element of the emblem. The MFBA will receive these monetary donations, and can provide seven meals with every $1 donated.
“One in eight Missourians rely on emergency food assistance each year,” MFBA State Director Scott Baker said. “The Missouri State Fair is a great place to raise awareness of this issue, and the food drive will help many Missourians again this year.”
The can exhibit is being designed and directed by PWArchitects, Inc. and project engineer Patrick Earney of Trabue, Hansen & Hinshaw, Inc., both of Columbia. A rendering of the exhibit can be seen at the fair’s website.
For more information, visit www.mostatefair.com, follow the Fair on Facebook and Twitter, or call 1-800-422-FAIR (3247).