Sheriff's investigator killed in auto accident

Aaron R. Miller
Aaron R. Miller

Editor’s note: This version of the story includes comments provided by the Johnson County Sheriff’s Department.
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) – An off-duty Johnson County Sheriff’s Office investigator died in a two-vehicle accident Wednesday afternoon.

Aaron R. Miller
Aaron R. Miller

Detective Sgt. Aaron R. Miller, 40, of Windsor, Missouri, was eastbound on state Route Y, south of Warrensburg and east of state Route 13, when another vehicle driven by Wayne K. Maxwell pulled out of a private driveway onto Route Y, according to a Missouri State Highway Patrol report.
Miller applied the brakes on his motorcycle, lost control and struck the rear of Maxwell’s vehicle. Miller’s motorcycle overturned and he was ejected as his vehicle went off the right side of the road. He was pronounced dead on the scene by Johnson County Coroner C.L. Holdren at 12:15 p.m., according to the Highway Patrol report.
The accident was reported at noon and occurred a half mile east of Southeast 501 Road on eastbound Route Y.
Maxwell, 67, of Windsor, was apparently uninjured in the accident, according to the Highway Patrol report.
“While this will certainly be very difficult for many to cope with, one can’t help but to remember Aaron for the man that he was,” according to a news release from the Sheriff’s Office. “First he was a loving father and devoted son. Second, he was a courageous, dedicated deputy sheriff who tirelessly carried out his duties. He was committed to serving his community, family and friends. His dedication to public service was his strongest professional asset. Sgt. Miller served 17 years as a detective with the Johnson County Missouri Sheriff’s Office and will be truly missed.”