City Council: Renfrow looks for a more business-friendly council

Editor’s Note: This is the third of four profiles of candidates for Warrensburg City Council.
By DEVIN R. NEGRETE
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) – Casey Renfrow has lived in Warrensburg for 21 years and is a local business owner who is running for a seat on the City Council.
The Warrensburg City Council has two open seats and four candidates on the April 8 ballot. Joining Renfrow on the ballot are Don Butterfield, Robin Allen and Mike Watts.
Renfrow and his wife, Jennifer, own Center Stage Academy of the Performing Arts in Warrensburg.
Renfrow said there are opportunities for growth in the city.
“We have shown that growth in this area is possible and I want Warrensburg to grow because we need more choices, whether it be a Target, Kohl’s, Price Chopper or Hy-Vee,” Renfrow said. “We need to be open for business and know that our City Council is on board with that.”
Renfrow said the city is not doing all it can to attract more business to town.
“Currently, I don’t think they are opening the door for businesses and I want to be a part of opening that door up,” he said.
To help make that happen, Renfrow said the city needs to be more accommodating.
“I want to make it easier for businesses to approach the City Council,” he said. “Instead of telling developers what they have to have to own a business here I want to ask, ‘How can we help you to develop in our community?’ Or, ‘What do you need from us?’”
Renfrow said the city has focused on the downtown area for some time and needs to shift to other parts of town.
“Most of the City Council members live downtown and are more focused on the downtown Warrensburg area, which is great, but we also need to focus more on the areas outside of downtown,” he said.
Renfrow said his main focus is to help Warrensburg grow, but voters need to be a part of that process by going to the polls.
“The voter turnout in the last four years in Warrensburg has only been 8 percent,” Renfrow said. “The community needs to go out and vote to help give this town a brighter future.”