Damage evident after pipeline explosion

Rick Hanks, a Hughesville resident who owns Beau Solais mushroom farm, stands on the charred ground on his brother-in-law David Williams’s farm were the blast took place. Clods of clay were blown out from under the topsoil littering the grounds with sub-soil debris.
Rick Hanks, a Hughesville resident who owns Beau Solais mushroom farm, stands on the charred ground on his brother-in-law David Williams’s farm were the blast took place. Clods of clay were blown out from under the topsoil, littering the grounds with sub-soil debris, in this photo from the Sedalia Democrat.

A large piece of twisted pipeline lies near the blast crater, to right cordoned off with orange mesh, Saturday afternoon. It remains a remnant of the Panhandle Eastern Pipeline Co., explosion the happen at midnight on Friday, near Hughesville. Panhandle Eastern officials would not let anyone come within 50 feet of the crater on Saturday.
A large piece of twisted pipeline lies near the blast crater, cordoned off to the right with orange mesh, Saturday afternoon. It remains a remnant of the Panhandle Eastern Pipeline Co. explosion that happened at midnight on Friday near Hughesville. Panhandle Eastern officials would not let anyone come within 50 feet of the crater on Saturday.

On Saturday, new sections of pipe lay near the blast epicenter, sectioned off with orange mesh, on the Williams Family Farm, near Hughesville. Hay bales still smoldered in the area where the blast occurred, creating approximately a football field sized area of devastation.

All Photos by Faith Bemiss/Democrat