Jennies volleyball fights for win over NWMSU

(MARYVILLE, Mo.) — The Central Missouri Jennies won their match Tuesday evening over Northwest Missouri State (9-10, 3-4 MIAA) in Maryville in four sets. The Jennies(21-0, 7-0 MIAA) won sets one and two 25-16 and 26-24, before losing set three 22-25 to force set four. Central Missouri won the fourth set of the match 26-24.
Central Missouri was the first team to reach double digits points in the first set, and soon after won five consecutive points to lead the Bearcats at 10-16. Northwest Missouri was able to score only two more points before Central Missouri strung together five more points, two kills from Becca Blaise and one from Julia Bates.  Annie Reilly scored the 24th point of the set with a serving ace, and Taylor Goodness finished out the set with a kill. Mikalee Monachino also had a serving ace in the first set. Goodness, Blaise and Maddie Jones all finished the set with two kills a piece.
The second set was a close battle between Central Missouri and Northwest Missouri. The teams were only separated by a few points through a majority of the set, with 16 tie scores and seven lead changes. The Jennies were able to catch the Bearcats at match point, and win the following two points to finish the set. Goodness had seven kills in the second set, with a .778 hitting percentage. Reilly and Monachino both added another serving ace in the second set as well.
Northwest Missouri lead Central Missouri for the first part of the third set. The Jennies caught Northwest Missouri at 5-5, winning the following two points to take their first lead of the set. Although Northwest Missouri caught the Jennies several times following their first tie score, it wasn’t until the Bearcats tied the score at 19-19 that they were able to take the lead in the set. Central Missouri almost tied the score again, holding Northwest Missouri to 24  points, before a service ace by Bates finished the set at 22-25. Monachino added her third serving ace of the match in the third set. Blaise had five kills in the third set, with a .500 hitting percentage.
The Bearcats led the Jennies for a majority of the final set of the match, with nine tie scores and five lead changes. After tying the Bearcats at 13-13 the Jennies were able to take a small lead, with two serving aces in a row from Reilly. The set was a battle to the end, with the Jennies tying the score at match point, and then scoring two consecutive points with a kill by Goodness and Jones to end the match. Blaise had six kills in the fourth set, hitting .556. Goodness had five kills, and her first serving aces of the season.
Blaise totaled a career high 15 kills through the match, hitting .400. Goodness finished right behind her with 14 kills. Bates had 43 assists and four kills through four sets. Reilly had four serving aces and 26 digs.
Saturday the Jennies will take on No. 12 Washburn (19-3, 6-0 MIAA) in Topeka, Kan. at 3 p.m.