Aide who left gun in Mo. Capitol bathroom resigns

By CHRIS BLANK
(JEFFERSON CITY, Mo., AP) — An aide to Missouri House Speaker Tim Jones has resigned after leaving a loaded handgun in a state Capitol bathroom last month.

Jones chief of staff Tom Smith said Thursday in a statement that he accepted the resignation of Dave Evans on Sept. 27. Missouri Capitol Police said a gun belonging to Evans was found by another legislative employee on top of a toilet paper dispenser in a basement bathroom. The gun was in a black nylon holster.
Police say the gun was found Sept. 20 and that Evans has a concealed carry permit. A Missouri law passed in 2011 allows elected officials and their employees to carry concealed firearms inside the Capitol if they have permits.
After the incident, Evans was instructed to take an additional gun safety course. Smith said Thursday he was satisfied with the corrective actions to which Evans had agreed.
“He ultimately felt it was in the best interests of his colleagues and friends in the Capitol, as well as for himself and his family, to move on to another endeavor,” Smith said. “The office will sorely miss his strong work ethic and high level of professionalism.”
The bathroom where the gun was found is across a hallway from a meeting room used by House committees. The Missouri Capitol’s basement includes several House hearing rooms, offices for some staff members and a cafeteria. Relatively few people were in the Capitol the day the gun was found.