Warrensburg residents charged in assault, carjacking

By LEAH WANKUM
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) – Two Warrensburg residents were each charged with three felonies Sept. 26 following an alleged carjacking.

Anthony M. Lockhart
Anthony M. Lockhart

Anthony M. Lockhart, 25, and Melissa N. Via, 28, were charged with first degree robbery, first degree assault, and stealing a motor vehicle, according to court reports. The victim, whose identity was not revealed, told police the incident occurred at 5:41 a.m. Sept. 25, in the 200 block of Madison Street. The suspects were arrested in the 200 block of Ming Street at 1:15 a.m. Sept. 26.
According to the probable cause statement, the victim was sitting in her car when Via approached, opened the door and told her to get out, saying that she had a gun.
When the victim refused to get out, Via punched her face and bit her several times. Lockhart then approached and punched the victim in the face, dragging her by the hair from the car, according to the report.
Melissa N. Via
Melissa N. Via

Lockhart punched her again and Via began to strangle her. During the assault, the victim reported that she saw Via had a handgun in the waistband of her pants, according to the probable cause statement.
Lockhart aimed a gun at the victim’s face after she refused his command to open her mouth. When she complied, Lockhart forced her to swallow an unknown item, and then Via put her in a chokehold, according to the report. After the victim went limp, Via took the car keys from her hand, got into the car with Lockhart and drove away.
Lockhart is in the Johnson County Jail on a $102,000 bond, and Via is being held on a $100,000 bond.
The preliminary hearing for Via is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Nov. 27, at the Johnson County Justice Center. The preliminary hearing for Lockhart is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Dec. 4, at the same location.