Burg Fest enters day 2

Attendees had plenty of activites to choose from.

• Warrensburg Mayor Charlie Rutt gave the opening remarks to kick off the start of Burgfest.

Photo by Andrew Mather
  • Colors were presented by the JROTC.

• Burgfest closed down most of downtown Warrensburg, mainly along Holden Street.

• The UCM Marching Mules Pep Band entertained the crowd with favorites such as “Fight You Mighty Central Mules” and “Smells Like Teen Spirit.”

• The street was lined with vendors selling food, crafts, among other things.

• People of all ages attended the opening of Burgfest.

• Attendees had plenty of activites to choose from.

• There were activities for people of all ages.

• Vendors line the streets selling food and crafts.

Photo by Andrew Mather
  • Ali Castro, a recent runner up of the 2013 Missouri Idol competition, sang the National Anthem. She is a native of Puerto Rico, and the wife of an active duty Airman.

Photo by Andrew Mather

Photos by ANDREW MATHER
Story by STEPHEN GANEY
After the first evening of the Burg Fest, downtown Warrensburg prepares for a full day of fun, food, and activities. Festivities begin today at 10 a.m. with a high heel race, as well as the Warrensburg Fire Department’s house burn demonstration at the corner of Holden and Hout. The Classic Car Show and Shine also kicks off at 10 a.m.
Among the many things to do at the Burg Fest is sample the myriad of treats offered by vendors. One such treat is 1/2 Pint’s Frozen Custard, run by Mike and Pam Telford of Clinton, Mo. Mike Telford said he has set up a booth at several outdoor festivals, but he is excited to be in Warrensburg.
“This is our ninth weekend [of working a festival booth] in a row. I enjoy it,” Telford said. “We’ve been to a lot of different towns around Missouri. It’s free advertising for us. Plus, more people get to try the best frozen custard in Missouri.”
Another highlight of the Burg Fest is the Beer Garden, which opens today at 5 p.m. The Beer Garden is operated by Jason Elkins, a board member of Warrensburg Main Street. He said it has been a bit of a challenge to obtain the proper permits to sell alcohol and allow open containers outdoors, but the city has been cooperative, and he believes it’s worth it.
“We’re very excited about the city allowing this. It ads an extra element to the entertainment and people really want this,” Elkins explained. “[The Beer Garden] provides something the people really enjoy. They thank us.”
Elkins said this Beer Garden is the third one he’s run since the city granted the ordinance for outdoor sales of alcohol last October, after a long period of time of stricter laws.
“These are just baby steps to getting more festivals. The idea is that we are going to keep moving down Pine Street, and it’s been great. I’m happy to do it, we’ve got all-volunteer workers here, and people like it.”
When asked why he took the initiative on himself to push for the Beer Garden, Elkins’ answer is concise: “Nobody else is doing it.”
One of the people grateful for the Beer Garden is Donna Wood. Donna sat at a table with her husband “Bud” while watching the main stage and enjoying a cold IPA. She admits she’s “new to Beer Gardens” but says it’s a welcome change in her opinion.
“I was a bit surprised when I heard they were having a Beer Garden, I guess because there are so many churches taking part in [the festival], and usually those two don’t go together,” Donna explained. “I don’t know why. Wasn’t beer invented by monks?”
The Beer Garden is located near the main stage. There is a $2.00 entry fee, and I.D. must be shown at the entrance.
For a full schedule of events, go to the Burg Fest website.