Stocks edge higher as Syria, oil worries linger

By KEN SWEET

(NEW YORK, AP) — The stock market edged higher Wednesday as investors continued to focus on the likelihood of a U.S.-led attack on Syria.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 56 points, or 0.4 percent, to 14,831 in midday trading. The Standard & Poor’s 500 index gained six points, or 0.4 percent, to 1,637. The Nasdaq composite rose 18 points, or 0.5 percent, to 3,596.
The escalating tensions between the U.S. and Syria hit the stock market hard Tuesday, sending the Dow down 170 points. Traders pushed gold to a three-month high and crude oil rose to its highest level in a year and a half.
The quick rise in the price of oil has worried investors. Higher oil almost always translates into higher fuel costs for businesses and consumers, weighing on consumer spending and the economy. While Syria has little oil, a regional conflict in the Middle East could lead to supply disruptions in an area where half the world’s proven oil reserves lie.
Oil rose $1.17, or 1.1 percent, to $110.18 a barrel. It went as high as $112 a barrel overnight.
On Wednesday, energy companies were among the biggest gainers in the S&P 500.
Shares of oil producer EOG Resources rose $4.37, or 3 percent, $160.66. Chevron Corp. climbed $2.79, or 2.4 percent, to $121.60.
While the selling in stocks appears to have abated for now, the overall trend for the market has been down over the last couple of weeks. The S&P 500 has lost 4.6 percent since reaching an all-time high on Aug. 2, while the Dow is down 5.6 percent. Fund managers said investors will have little reason to enter the market until next week’s employment report or until the Federal Reserve holds its mid-September policy meeting.
“You may be watching stock prices, but you’re not placing any orders in this market,” said Chris Hyzy, chief investment officer at U.S. Trust.
Before Syria grabbed the headlines, the focus had been on the Federal Reserve and whether the central bank was going to pull back on its massive bond-buying program, which has kept interest rates extremely low.
If oil prices remain at these elevated levels, the Fed may have to delay easing back on its bond purchases, said Quincy Krosby, market strategist with Prudential Financial.
“The Fed would see higher oil prices, particularly if they linger at these higher levels, as a definite hindrance to employment and consumer spending,” Krosby said.
Hyzy said oil would have to rise above $125 a barrel before it has a noticeable impact on consumer spending.
The Syria standoff comes during what is typically a quiet week for stocks. There is little economic data being released and only a handful of corporate earnings. It’s also the week before Labor Day, when many on Wall Street are on vacation.
The next big day for the market will come next week, when investors get the August jobs report on Sept. 6, Hyzy and Krosby said.