State Fair celebrates annual Ham Breakfast

(SEDALIA, Mo.) – Governor Jay Nixon and First Lady Georganne Nixon will be guests of honor at the 61st annual Governor’s Ham Breakfast Thursday, Aug. 15 at the Missouri State Fairgrounds in Sedalia.
The breakfast will celebrate Missouri agriculture while also raising funds for the Missouri State Fair Foundation’s scholarship program, according to a news release.
“The Governor’s Ham Breakfast is a long-standing fair tradition that serves not just as a celebration of Missouri agriculture, but also as a means to promote it with our next generation through scholarships funded by the breakfast auction,” said Missouri State Fair Director Mark Wolfe in a news release. “Our goal this year is to help more deserving youth interested in pursuing higher education in the field of agriculture.”
The breakfast includes an auction of the Grand Champion Ham, Reserve Grand Champion Ham, Grand Champion Slab of Bacon and a limited edition commemorative belt buckle. Last year’s auction funded six $1,000 scholarships.
Nixon will be the keynote speaker at the breakfast, which starts at 8 a.m. in the Director’s Tent located at Centennial Gate on Highway 65.
The $25 ticket price includes general gate admission to the fair and can be purchased at the Missouri State Fair Box Office or online at www.mostatefair.com. Box Office hours are noon to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily during the Fair. Tickets will also be available for purchase at the breakfast, while supplies last.
The Missouri First Lady’s Pie Contest follows the Governor’s Ham Breakfast. The deadline for bakers wanting to enter their favorite recipes is Thursday, Aug. 1. Judging of the pies will begin at 10 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 15, in the Home Economics Building, with awards immediately following.
Entry forms for the contest, which is sponsored by AgriMissouri and Starline Brass Inc., are available in the online Premium Guide.
The 111th Missouri State Fair runs from Aug. 8-18 in Sedalia. For more information, visit www.mostatefair.com, follow the fair on Facebook and Twitter, or call 1-800-422-3247.