Behind the scenes at the Shakespeare Festival

Luci+Kersting%2C+assistant+manager%2C+strings+bows+for+her+woodsmen.+She+arrives+early+before+the+play+begins+to+prepare+props+for+the+production.+
Luci Kersting, assistant manager, strings bows for her woodsmen. She arrives early before the play begins to prepare props for the production.

• Nathan Bowman hangs the banners on the trees before the show begins. Bowman has worked at the Shakespeare festival for the past five years.

• Audio crew members Stephen Renteria, left, and Rusty Wandall relax after the test run of equipment.

• Luci Kersting, assistant manager, reviews the props to ensure everything is in place before the show begins.

• Jinni Pike, left, the stage manager, discusses the actors’ needs with Luci Kersting, assistant manager, before the second night of production.

• Luci Kersting, assistant manager, strings bows for her woodsmen. She arrives early before the play begins to prepare props for the production.

• Luci Kersting, assistant manager, right, gathers with the preproduction crew to discuss what has to be done to ensure a smooth performance.

• Luci Kersting, assistant manager, watches the stage trees as she uses the control board to pull in the leafy branches back into their trunks.

(Photos by Alexandra Lambdin, digitalBURG)
The 21st season of the Heart of America Shakespeare Festival is in progress and will run through July 7. This season, the featured production is “As You Like It,” and is performed at the Southmoreland Park in Kansas City, Mo.
Behind the scenes of the production, the crew keeps busy preparing props, adjusting sound and overall ensuring a smooth production.
The play runs six nights a week for three weeks. Actors range from ages 12 years old and up.