Carnegie bust is part of UCM funding request

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The face of Dale Carnegie may become an indelible part of the University of Central Missouri campus as the Board of Governors included a plan to create a bust of the famous author in its request for state appropriations.
Following a presentation by Gersham Nelson, dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, on June 21, the board approved a request to move forward with a collaborative $8,000 to $10,000 project between the university and Dale Carnegie & Associates Inc. The larger-than-life bust would honor one of the university’s most famous alumni, according to a news release.
Carnegie was a writer, lecturer and corporate trainer, and wrote the best-seller “How to Win Friends and Influence People.”
Overall, the board approved a $75.5 million request for state appropriations to cover university operations during the 2015 fiscal year. The total request is an increase of approximately $20.6 million over the 2014 fiscal year appropriations of $53.9 million (before 3 percent held for the Governor’s Reserve), according to a news release.
The increase includes a request to restore the 5 percent appropriation reduction from the 2011 fiscal year and the 7 percent reduction from 2012. It also includes extra funding to cover a 2 percent employee salary increase, contributions toward the state retirement system, plus inflationary increases to cover health insurance premiums, scholarships, library acquisitions, utilities and deferred maintenance, according to the news release.
The bust of Carnegie would be owned by the university placed at a site west of the flagpole on the quadrangle facing the Administration Building. A pedestal of limestone and granite would support the bust.
The Carnegie Fund, which is generated through enrollment and coursework on campus, has pledged $2,500 toward the project, and the Department of Communication and Sociology pledged $1,500. Additional sources of funding will come from a grant from the college and private pledges and donations from members of the Board of the Carnegians and Dale Carnegie & Associates, Inc. The goal is to have the bust ready for an unveiling ceremony at the Carnegians’ convention on campus in mid- to late-September.
Other funding requests are for program initiatives such as Caring for Missourians, The Missouri Innovation Campus, the Missouri Technology Mission, and initiatives related to science, technology, engineering and mathematics, and health and life sciences, according to the news release.
John Merrigan, vice president of finance, said the Missouri Department of Higher Education has placed a priority on renovations rather than new construction, plus a priority on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics buildings. Therefore, UCM listed the Morris Science Building as its top priority.
The university will seek $43.6 million in funding for the renovation of this facility, which supports STEM programs. New construction of a science and math building, estimated at $65.7 million, is the second priority, followed by renovation of Hendricks Hall, $19.7 million. Thirteen other projects are also listed.