Arrowhead fills with color and runners

Photo by Andrew Mather
(Photos by Andrew Mather, digitalBURG) The runners, plastered in a rainbow of colors, dance and cheer during the color celebration at the main stage.

By ANDREW MATHER
(KANSAS CITY, digitalBURG) – The Color Run, also known as the Happiest 5k on the Planet, filled Arrowhead Stadium with runners and lots of powdered color Saturday and Sunday.
Julia Bates, a setter on the UCM volleyball team, is excited to be a participant in The Color Run.

The Color Run organizers encourage people of all varieties to participate, from avid runners to the occasional mall walkers.
“We call The Color Run the ‘Happiest 5K on the Planet’ because our events bring together friends and family in a unique, healthy, and fun environment,” said Travis Snyder, founder of The Color Run.
The Color Run also donates a portion of the participant’s fees to a local charity. The Kansas City Color Run’s charity was the Ronald McDonald House.
The Color Run takes features from Holi, also known as the Festival of Colors, which is a Hindu tradition, and adds it to a 5K run. Participants run, jog or walk through four different color stations where volunteers throw colored paint powder at them.
There are only two rules in The Color Run: Wear white at the starting line and finish the 5K plastered in as much color as possible.
A young girl closes her eyes as she runs through a burst of orange color.

From left, color runners Liza Scharhag, a nanny from Olathe, Kan.; Missy Wilkinson Zadow, a polysomnographic technologist from Overland Park, Kan.; and Lara McCracken, a legal assistant from Kansas City, Mo., jump in celebration of a successful and fun time at The Color Run.

During the final color throw of the day, the air is filled with every color of the rainbow as hundreds of people throw fistfuls of color into the air. Color throws take place every 10 minutes at the color celebration at the end of the race.