Downtown streetscape continues this summer

By KEVIN LYON
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) – The dedication of the remodeled City Hall served a dual purpose Friday as city officials announced a grant to continue the downtown streetscape project.
The city recently received a nearly $150,000 matching grant from the Missouri Department of Transportation for the remodeling of Holden Street between the railroad tracks and South Street.
Warrensburg will match 20 percent, $40,000, of the grant.
The Phase III-B project entails improving the street, sidewalks and lighting along Holden Street to the edge of the UCM campus. Construction is scheduled to begin this summer.
Tours of the remodeled City Hall were led by members of the Secunda Club, a local philanthropic organization that also baked dozens of homemade cookies for the occasion. City Hall was rebuilt two years ago, but never had a proper open house.
“This is the grand reveal, the dedication and the open house that goes along with it,” said City Manager Paula Hertwig Hopkins.
Public Works Director Marvin “Slim” Coleman told the crowd about the aggravating process of shuffling departments during the remodeling, with many departments moving twice to different buildings. The fire department had to bunk up in an RV at one point during the renovations.
“It was a unique experience most firefighters will never get to go through,” said firefighter Ken Jennings as the audience laughed.
“It’s about community pride,” said Mayor Charlie Rutt. “We want people who come through here to want to stay here.”