Jennies dedicate new sand volleyball court

The courts were made possible by a donation from Warrensburg residents Bob and Sandy Russell, and have been named in honor of Bob Russell, a former member of the Board of Governors and a 2005 Central Missouri Athletic Hall of Fame inductee. (Photo by ANDREW MATHER, Photo Editor)

Story by ANDREA LOPEZ, for The Muleskinner—
    During the morning hours of Saturday, April 27, the Jennies volleyball team dedicated the Robert G. “Bob” Russell Sand Volleyball Courts.
    The courts, located at the corner of King and Warren Streets, directly behind the UCM track and field throwing field, were made possible by a generous donation from Warrensburg residents Bob and Sandy Russell.
    The courts have been named in honor of Bob Russell, a former member of the UCM Board of Governors and a 2005 Central Missouri Athletic Hall of Fame inductee.
    Bob Russell, also known to student athletes and coaches as the judge, has also been honored with the university’s Distinguished Service Award.
    “The donation of these courts will give Jennies volleyball an off-season training facility where they can work on skill development, while also benefiting the UCM student body with a place to play recreational and intramural volleyball,” said volleyball head coach Flip Piontek.
    Since the courts were installed last fall, students have been seen using the courts on a daily basis.
    In addition to being an alumnus of UCM, the judge is a major fan of UCM athletics and he continues to be a loyal booster to the UCM community.
    From his presence at UCM sporting events to financially helping athletic programs, Bob Russell has been a long-time supporter.
    “For these volleyball players here, the ability to come here and train is really helpful to us, so we really want to thank you for that,” Piontek said to Bob during the dedication ceremony.
    Despite the wet morning, a small crowd gathered to acknowledge the Russell’s gift.
    As Bob and Sandy walked over to the side of the volleyball courts, a countdown marked the unveiling of the sign.
    After the dedication, the Jennies volleyball team ended their spring season schedule by playing on the Bob Russell Courts.
    For more information on the newly dedicated Bob Russell Courts, contact Piontek at [email protected].