UCM announces Senior Athletes of the Year

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – Central Missouri Athletics has announced the winners of the 2013 Dr. Peggy Martin and Vernon Kennedy Awards for the outstanding female and male Senior Student-Athletes of the Year. Natalie Jimenez from Jennies Bowling, Bradye Peniston from Jennies Volleyball and Kayla Shain from Jennies Soccer were announced as the winners of the Dr. Peggy Martin Senior Athletes of the Year award, while Brent Vogel from Mules Track & Field was named the winner of the Vernon Kennedy Male Athlete of the Year award at the annual athletics banquet on Monday night.
Jimenez (Rowland Heights, Calif./J.A. Rowland HS) finished her Jennies Bowling career as a four-time National Tenpin Coaches Association (NTCA) All-American and helped lead the Jennies to four straight NCAA Championships appearances. This season she was a first team All-American and the NTCA Division II/III National Player of the Year and helped the Jennies earn their first regular season No. 1 national ranking. She was a two-time first team All-American in her career and a two-time Division II/III National Player of the Year. As a freshman she earned the Division II/III National Rookie of the Year award as well.
She won the 2011 U.S. Junior Gold Championship and earned a spot on the 2012 U.S. Junior National Team. She was named to the NTCA All-Academic Team and was a first team CoSIDA Academic All-District selection last season. She is a member of the Dean’s List at Central Missouri and carries a 3.4 grade point average while majoring in psychology. The Rowland Heights, Calif. native is the daughter of Joe and Tommie Lynn Jimenez.
Peniston (Wichita, Kan./Valley Center HS) finished her career as a three-time All-American and four-time All-MIAA selection for Jennies Volleyball. This past season, she was a first team All-MIAA honoree and an honorable mention All-American by the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA). She helped lead the Jennies to a 122-22 overall record during her career and a 69-7 MIAA record with three conference championships. She helped UCM to four NCAA Tournament appearances and two regional championships, including a third place national finish in 2010. She finishes her career third all-time in points in Jennies volleyball history.
A physical education major, she carries a 3.63 GPA and was a four-time MIAA Scholar-Athlete and MIAA Academic Honor Roll member. The Wichita, Kan. native is the daughter of Steve and Brenda Peniston.
Shain (Olathe, Kan./Olathe Northwest HS) was a four-time All-MIAA selection during her soccer career at UCM. Following her senior season she was named to the All-MIAA first team and was the conference’s Player of the Year. She helped lead Jennies Soccer to a 67-10-7 record during her career. The Jens captured three straight MIAA Championships without losing a conference match over her final three seasons going an astounding 34-0-2 during that span. UCM made three straight trips to the NCAA Tournament and had a pair of Sweet 16 appearances. Shain holds the UCM single season assists record with 10 and is the school’s all-time leader in with 25 career assists. She ranks first in school history in matches played (83) and ranks eighth all-time with 49 career points.
As good as Shain was on the field, she was even better in the classroom. She has maintained a perfect 4.0 GPA during her time at UCM while majoring in speech pathology. She was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-America First Team this year, just the second Jennies’ player to ever earn first team Academic All-America honors. She was a two-time CoSIDA Academic All-District honoree while also being named an MIAA Academic Excellence Award winner, MIAA Scholar-Athlete and MIAA Academic Honor Roll member four times. The Olathe, Kan. product is the daughter of Brad and Janice Shain.
Vogel (Jefferson City, Mo./Helias HS) is a two-time national champion and seven-time All-American for Mules Track & Field with a chance for a third or possibly even fourth national title later in May. He captured the national crown in the heptathlon at the NCAA Indoor Championships in March with a new MIAA and national record of 5,760 points. He has helped lead the Mules to an indoor conference championship in each of his seasons at UCM and three outdoor conference crowns with a possible fourth title this weekend.
He was named the United States Track & Field and Cross County Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Central Region and National Field Athlete of the Year following the indoor season, becoming the first Mule to win the men’s National Field Athlete of the Year award. He won his first national championship in the decathlon at the 2011 NCAA Outdoor Championships and has the second highest point total in NCAA Division II in the decathlon this year.
Brent is just as successful in the classroom carrying a 3.77 grade point average in biology. He is a three-time All-Academic honoree by the USTFCCCA, a three-time MIAA Academic Honor Roll member and a three-time MIAA Scholar-Athlete. He also serves as the Co-President of the Central Missouri Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC). The Jefferson City, Mo. native is the son of Michael and Edna Vogel.