Mules Baseball completes sweep of Emporia State

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The seventh-ranked Central Missouri Mules scored single runs in five different innings and beat Emporia State 5-2 on Monday night at Crane Stadium/Tompkins Field to complete a three-game sweep of the Hornets. The Mules finish the regular season at 34-9 overall and 28-8 in MIAA play.
The Hornets (27-20, 24-17 MIAA) scored both of their runs in the top of the first to grab the early lead. Eric Dawson had an RBI single to start the scoring and Ashton McCoy added a sacrifice fly.
The Mules scored one run in the second on a Chase Graskewicz RBI single to get on the board and then tied the game with another run in the third on a Trevor Jones RBI groundout.
UCM took the lead for good with another run in the fourth on Kevin Gratza‘s RBI single. The 3-2 lead stood until the seventh when Brad Wilson drove in Samuel Domingue with a sacrifice fly to make it 4-2. The Mules tacked on another run in the eighth on Jon Cotter‘s RBI single for the 5-2 final.
Jake Heissler (5-0) earned the win for UCM after tossing 4.1 scoreless innings of relief. He scattered five hits and struck out one. Zach Davis earned his team-leading sixth save of the season allowing three hits in 2.2 innings while striking out four.
Brenton Higgins (3-1) took the loss for Emporia State after giving up four runs on seven hits in seven innings.
Graskewicz and Cotter each finished the day with a pair of hits for UCM.
The Mules are back in action Thursday when they open MIAA Tournament play hosting Pittsburg State in the first game of a best of three series. The game can be heard live on the UCM Sports Network. The game is scheduled to start at 6 pm. Stay tuned to UCMathletics.com for any schedule changes.