Mules jump to No. 23, Jennies slide in latest rankings

(NEW ORLEANS, La.) – With some successful performances at Pittsburg State last weekend, the Central Missouri Mules moved up one spot in the latest USTFCCCA Computer Rankings, to No. 23, while the Jennies slid to No. 14 this week.
The Mules climbed in the poll thanks to strong performances by Devin Claypool and Konnor Cordes in the high jump, as well as senior Zak Thompson in the discus, and freshman Chris Swearingin in the javelin. Claypool and Thompson recorded provisional marks in their respective events last weekend, while Cordes and Swearingin posted new season highs, and are ranked among the top 35 in their events this season. The Mules tallied 49.02 points week, gaining 0.41 points from a week ago.
The Jennies saw four new season bests last weekend, including a trio of athletes post personal records at the Emporia State Multis last week. Junior Zoe Sharplin, and sophomores Madison Smith and Victoria Jackson all earned provisionals in the heptathlon, going 1-2-3 in Emporia. Sharplin also picked up a provisional in the javelin throw, where she is currently ranked 31st nationally. Freshman Brittany Kallenberger improved upon her mark in the pole vault, clearing 11′ 8″ (3.56m) to earn the 28th rank in that event. Overall, the team has 63.31 points in the women’s rankings, which is a drop of 25.62 points from last week, as the poll transitions to not include any marks from last year, as it does in the opening weeks of the season.
St. Augustine’s (N.C.) holds the top spot in the men’s poll again this week, while Grand Canyon (Ariz.) overtakes Lincoln for the No. 1 rank on the women’s side. The Mules are the fifth-highest ranked MIAA squad this week, behind Pittsburg State (No. 7), Lincoln (No. 8), Missouri Southern (No. 9), and Emporia State (No. 18). The Jennies are the second-highest conference squad in the women’s poll, trailing only No. 2 Lincoln.
The Mules and Jennies return to Warrensburg for the final time this season, as they host the UCM Mule Relays on Friday, April 19. Field events begin at 1 p.m., just west of the Multipurpose Building, followed by the track events inside Walton Stadium at 4 p.m.