Greek Week

Story by Courtney Muns, for The Muleskinner—
    Members of the University of Central Missouri’s Fraternity and Sorority Life community is busy packing up their togas and their helping hands as Greek Week 2013 has come to an end.
    Greek Week occurs every spring and allows sororities and fraternities on campus to come together and participate in fun, team-based events while also raising money for charities.
    “Greek Week is really about two things. The first is philanthropy and the second is becoming closer as a Greek community,” said tri-chair member Becca Hotop. “It’s a great way to get chapters outside of their comfort zone and to collaborate with less familiar chapters as a team.”
    The tri-chairs began their planning in April 2012, recruited the executive board in November, and began planning for “Greeks on the red carpet,” a theme that gave chapters a wide range of avenues to choose from including music, movies and celebrities.
    While friendly competitions are a large part of Greek Week, the FSL community works to make philanthropy the focus of the week.
    This year was a record-setting year for donations during Greek Week.
    According to the UCM Greek Life Twitter page, $6,348.35 was donated to the Blaine Whitworth, Go Big or Go Home Fund. $2,557 was donated to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Warrensburg.
    More than 13,000 items were donated throughout the week to local agencies, including 1,404 new school supply items for the Teachers’ Warehouse.
    Greek Week concluded with closing cermonies in the Union on Monday, where chapters and individuals received awards from Greek week achievements, as well as recognition for work during the past year.
    The overall winners of Greek Week was the team of Sigma Sigma Sigma and Lambda Chi Alpha. Greek Week Goddess was Maggie Quinn of Delta Zeta and Greek Week God was Chris Leon of Tau Kappa Epsilon.