Mules golf to finish regular season at Missouri Southern

Story by Jason Strickland, Sports Editor—
    The final regular season tournament for Mules golf is Monday and Tuesday at Missouri Southern.
    The Mules are coming off a sixth place finish at the Missouri Intercollegiate tournament this past Monday and Tuesday.
    Central finished ahead of five Division-I schools in the 12-team field. The top four finishers for the Mules were within four strokes of each other.
    Freshman Cy Moritz tied for 16th, sophomore Sam Migdal tied for 18th, freshman Travis Mays  tied for 26th, freshman Robby Hughey tied for 31st and senior Jason Vann tied for 50th.
    “It seems like each week we are getting a little better and had a lot of bright spots throughout the week,” said head coach Tim Poe. “I really feel good about how the team is going into this week.”
    The Mules will play at the Twin Hills Golf Club in Joplin, Mo., for the final tournament before the MIAA Championships in Smithville, Mo., April 22-23.
    It’s a very similar golf course to what we play at the base (Whiteman Air Force Base),” Poe said. “It’s got some holes you’ve got to hit fairly straight on. I think our guys are pretty good drivers of the golf ball, so I think if we continue to do that well it really sets you up to score on that golf course.”
    Poe said the team needs to finish rounds stronger.
    “You listen to the tour guys talk about the same thing,” he said. “Just being able to stay patient and hang in there and grind throughout the round, even when it’s not going good sometimes.”
    He said decision making needs to be tuned up a bit too.
    “It’s not a bad swing, its usually a bad decision that ends up turning into a bad shot,” he said. “Other than that, our short game has come around. Hopefully by the end of this week we will be where we need to be heading into the end of the season and postseason.”