Mules Baseball splits doubleheader at Lindenwood

(ST. CHARLES, Mo.) – The seventh-ranked Central Missouri Mules split an MIAA doubleheader with Lindenwood at the Lou Brock Sports Complex on Wednesday.
UCM won the opener 10-4, but came up short in game two falling 11-7 to the Lions.
The Mules (21-6, 18-5 MIAA) struck first in game one with a first inning sacrifice fly by Kyle Grieshaber to take a 1-0 lead. The Lions (14-16, 13-11 MIAA) responded, however, scoring three runs in the home half to take a 3-1 lead and chase starter Marshall Dean from the game.
The Mules got a run back in the third when Grieshaber doubled home Jon Cotter to pull UCM with a run at 3-2. Central Missouri took the lead in the fourth with a pair of runs. John Oropeza scored on a wild pitch to tie the game and Cotter brought home Seth Wheeler with a sacrifice bunt to give the Mules a 4-3 lead.
UCM tacked on a single run in the when Kevin Gratza led off with a home run to push the lead to 5-3. The Lions scored an unearned run in the bottom half to pull within a run at 5-4, but the Mules responded with five runs in the top of the seventh to blow the game open. Oropeza had a two-run double to start the scoring and give UCM a 7-4 lead. Wheeler added an RBI double and later scored on Trevor Jones’ RBI single. The right fielder misplayed the ball allowing it to go all the way to the wall and Jones scored on the play.
Andrew Urban (3-1) got the win in relief for the Mules. He allowed one unearned run on seven hits in 5.1 innings of work. He walked two and struck out five. Jake Heissler picked up his second save of the season pitching the final 1.1 innings allowing just one hit.
Austin Klein (2-2) took the loss for Lindenwood after giving up five runs on six hits in six innings of work.
The Mules jumped on top 1-0 in the second inning of game two. Oropeza doubled and went to third on an error by the centerfielder. The next batter up, Gratza singled him home to give UCM the early lead.
The Mules added another run in the fourth on an RBI single by Wheeler, but UCM stranded a pair in the inning.
The Lions scored six times in the fifth on just three hits to grab a 6-2 lead. Lindenwood was aided by four walks and one UCM error in the inning.
The Mules responded, however, scoring five runs of their own in the sixth to regain the lead 7-6. Five different Mules drove in runs in the inning, including Brad Wilson’s RBI sac bunt that put UCM back in front.
Lindenwood tied the game in the seventh on an RBI single off the bat of Nathan Prindle and then scored four runs, three of them unearned, in the eighth to seize the game.
The Mules put two runners on in the ninth, but were unable to mount another comeback.
Devon Brogan (2-1) took the loss for UCM after giving up five runs, only two earned, on four hits in 3.2 innings of relief.
Zac Pearman (5-2) picked up the complete game win for LIndenwood after allowing seven runs, five earned, on 11 hits. He struck out five and didn’t walk a batter.
The Mules are back in action this weekend traveling to Arkadelphia, Ark. to take on Henderson State in a three-game non-conference series. The teams will play a doubleheader Saturday at 1 p.m. and a single nine-inning game Sunday at 1 p.m.