Jennies Softball sweeps Missouri Western in doubleheader

(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) – Jennies Softball (12-6, 2-0 MIAA) swept the Missouri Western Griffons (12-8, 0-2 MIAA) in their 2013 MIAA-opening doubleheader Friday evening at the Spring Sports Complex, winning game one 3-1 and game two 2-0.
Game one, the first of two defensive battles, saw neither team score until the bottom of the fourth inning when Missouri Western’s Maegan Roemmich homered down the left field line to put the Griffons up 1-0.
Central Missouri responded with the tying run in the top of the sixth after Jakki Prater doubled to left-center, scoring Braylyn Bivens to knot the game up 1-1.
Medora West hit a fielder’s choice scoring Ali Jo Rogers to give the Jens a 2-1 lead in the top of the seventh. Bivens added another run for the Cardinal and Black on a sacrifice fly allowing Brittany Knabe to cross home plate and increase the lead to 3-1.
The Jennies defense held the Griffons scoreless in the bottom-half of the inning to clinch the 3-1 victory.
West, Bivens and Prater each had RBIs for the Jennies to go along with six total hits in game one. Prater pitched her team-high sixth complete game, going all seven innings, striking out one while allowing one earned run to improve her record to 6-1 in the circle.
Game two, like game one, was a showcase of both team’s defense and pitching. The Jennies broke the scoreless stalemate in the top of the fifth inning when Knabe singled up the middle of the field to drive in Rogers and give the Jens the 1-0 edge.
The Jennies made it 2-0 in the top of the sixth after Prater doubled to right field, scoring Bivens. Jennies right-hander Katie Shockley took over from there, allowing just one hit the remaining two innings to preserve the 2-0 shutout win.
For the game the Jennies outhit the Griffons 5-3 and committed no errors while Missouri Western had two miscues.
Prater led the Jens offense, going 2-3 in the game with an RBI.
Shockley pitched her second complete game of the season, going the full seven innings, allowing only three hits and no runs to move her record to 2-3 overall.
The sweep against Missouri Western is the first since 2009 when the Jennies defeated the Griffons 9-0 and 4-1 in St. Joseph. The wins also snapped a three game losing skid against the Griffons.
The Jennies return to the diamond Saturday afternoon, traveling to Platte City, Mo. for an MIAA doubleheader with Northwest Missouri State. First pitch for game one is set for 1 p.m. from Platte Ridge Park.