Central to send 11 to nationals

Junior Erin Alewine is one of five Central multi-event athletes to qualify for the national championships. (Photo by ANDREW MATHER, Photo Editor)

Story by Alex Agueros, for The Muleskinner—
    After the Jennies took third place and Mules took first place at the MIAA Indoor Championship, Central is sending 11 athletes to the NCAA-II Indoor Championships in Birmingham, Ala. Friday-Saturday.
    The multi-event qualifiers are junior Erin Alewine, junior Zoe Sharplin, sophomore Madison Smith, and seniors Carl McCargo and Brent Vogel.
    Co-head coach Kip Janvrin said the athletes need to continue to do what they’ve done all season.
    “Mainly we’re telling them to do the things they’ve done all year long,” Janvrin said. “If they can duplicate their performances from this season then they’ll have success at the national meet.”
    Senior Laban Sialo is the reigning 5000m national champion, and will have a chance to defend his title.
    A pair of freshmen qualified as well in sprinter Kellin Loch and jumper Meelis Siimson.
    “I’m sure they’re putting pressure on themselves,” Janvrin said. “But at the same time, making it to nationals is kind of a reward for a year of hard work.”
    Junior high jumper Devin Claypool earned his first trip to nationals with the mark he set at the UCM Relays last month. Claypool earned All-MIAA honors last week at the MIAA Championships, and is ranked 10th in Division II.
    Rounding out the nationals squad are a pair of throwers, senior Zak Thompson and sophomore Brooke Swearingin.
    Thompson will compete in shot put, while Swearingin will compete in the weight throw.
    “After getting All-American in the outdoor season last year, I expect nothing less every season,” Thompson said. “The plan is to come back an All-American in the indoor shot put.”