No. 7 Jennies fall to Southwest Baptist

(BOLIVAR, Mo.) – The seventh ranked Jennies basketball team (21-3, 13-3 MIAA) had their eight game winning streak snapped Saturday evening as they fell to Southwest Baptist (11-14, 6-11 MIAA) 63-52 at the Meyer Sports Center in Bolivar.
The Jennies took an early 3-0 lead when Nicole Caddell was fouled after making a layup and converted the free throw. BreAnna Lewis then made it 6-2 UCM when she nailed a three with 19:10 left in the first half. The Jennies increased the lead to 7-4 at the 18:16 mark when Keuna Flax hit a free throw.
The Bearcats battled back taking a 9-7 lead with 16:01 remaining in the half on a three pointer from Brittney Dukes. The two teams traded baskets until the 4:22 mark when SBU’s Jacqui Zelenka hit a jumper that put the Bearcats ahead, 18-16. The basket from Zelenka started a 16-6 run for SBU to close out the first half.
The Jennies went into halftime trailing, 32-22.
UCM shot just 30 percent from the field in the first stanza, going 8-26, and just 20 percent from long range, shooting 2-10.
SBU went 14-31 for the opening half for 45 percent and were 3-9 from three for 33 percent. The Jennies were out-rebounded by the Bearcats 22-15 in half number one.
Lewis led UCM in the first half with eight points while Zelenka and Dukes paced the Bearcats, each scoring 10.
Caddell scored a layup to open the second half to bring the Jennies within eight, 32-24. The Jennies were able to pull within four of the Bearcats, 36-32, at the 15:30 mark after Keuna Flax hit a layup. That would be as close as UCM would get the rest of the contest though as SBU went on a 13-4 run to open up a 49-36 advantage with 11:38 to go in the half. The Jennies could get no closer than 10 the rest of the way.
Jennies shot 20-60 from the field for the game, 33 percent, and were only 3-21 from three for 14 percent. They also struggled from the free throw line, going 9-17, just 53 percent.
The Bearcats shot 25-55 from the field for 46 percent and were 4-15 from long range for 27 percent. SBU was 82 percent from the free throw line, going 9-11. They controlled the glass, out-rebounding the Jennies 46-29.
Lewis led the Jennies with a game-high 22 points while Caddell scored 11 and pulled down 11 rebounds for the double-double.
Zelenka led the Bearcats, posting a double-double with 18 points and 10 boards. Dukes added 17 points for SBU.
The Jennies return to action Wednesday night when they host the Truman Bulldogs for senior night. Tip-off is set for 5:30 p.m. at the UCM Multipurpose Building in Warrensburg. The game can be heard live on 1450 KOKO, 98.5 The Bar and www.warrensburgradio.com. A pay-per-view, student-run video webcast will also be available through AmericaOneSports.com.