Mules and Jennies set provisional marks at UCM Classic

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The Central Missouri Mules’ 4×440 yard relay team highlighted a series of strong performances at the UCM Indoor Classic, winning the race while earning the team’s first provisional mark in two years. The relay team’s performance capped off a night where ten Mules and Jennies earned provisional marks in their respective events.
A pair of Mules started the evening on the right foot, as senior Zak Thompson finished third in the Shot Put. His throw of 53′ 2.75″ (16.22m) earned the first provisional mark of the day. Thompson currently ranks 10th nationally and second in the MIAA in the Shot Put, after his performance at the UCM Mule Relays two weeks earlier.
Freshmen Brittany Kallenberger and Cole Phillips each earned a provisional in the women’s and men’s pole vault, placing third and second, respectively. Kallenberger cleared the bar at a height of 11′ 10″, and ranks 13th in NCAA Division II after posting a 12′ 2″ at the Iowa State Classic last week. Phillips posted a mark of 15′ 4.25″. He has now earned second-place results in three straight meets this season.
Two multi-event athletes in Zoe Sharplin and Brent Vogel both posted provisional marks in the 60-meter hurdles to kick off the field events; Sharplin posted a 8.72 as the top qualifier during preliminaries, then improved her time to 8.71 to win the event in the finals. The junior currently sits 15th on the NCAA performance list, picking up her second 60-meter hurdles win of the season. Vogel posted a provisional mark of 8.27 during prelims in the men’s 60-meter hurdles, then won the finals with a time of 8.32. Ranked 20th in the nation, Vogel has earned two wins in the 60-meter hurdles this season.
In the men’s mile, senior Laban Sialo dominated the field, earning the win with a provisional time of 4:12.72, over four seconds faster than the second-place finisher. Sialo is now in ranked among the top 15 in the nation in all three distance races, including 15th in the mile run, 12th in the 3,000-meter, and 10th in the 5,000-meter.
Running an identical time as a week ago, freshman Kellin Loch earned his second straight provisional in the 800-meter, winning the event in 1:54.59. The race is Loch’s first collegiate win, as the Warrensburg native ranks 16th nationally in the 800-meter.
After earning high marks in their individual events, Vogel and Loch teamed up with juniors Ross Lorber and Devin Claypool to post a provisional in the 4×440 yard relay. The team won the event in 3:21.44, and currently sit 21st on the national performance list.
The meet was a final tuneup before next week’s MIAA Championships, taking place Feb. 22-24. Central Missouri will play the host, as the three-day championship meet will take place in the Multipurpose Building. A live, pay-per-view webcast will also be available during the meet, at www.AmericaOne.com, courtesy of the UCM Media Network.