Don't forget to pay it forward

Story by ANDY LYONS, News Editor—
    AndyDuring the #askAmbrose tweet chat, UCM President Dr. Charles Ambrose was asked “what is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?”
    His response, “Pay it forward,” is more than a piece of advice received by one person.
    It is a recurring theme all around campus at UCM.
    During my time as a reporter at UCM, I’ve interviewed a lot of faculty and staff, and it’s clear that the focus is on the students and giving students what they need to be successful once they graduate.
    There’s people like Beth Rutt, director of campus activities; Kristie Brinkley, assistant director of volunteer services; John Culp, program development and retention coordinator for UCM athletics; and plenty more.
    All of these people look to make a difference in the lives of the students and people they interact with on a daily basis.
    It’s one of the most rewarding experiences to see what these people do, to see their focus and feel their impact around UCM.  “Pay it forward” could be adapted by students all around campus as well.
    As a senior, I’ve gotten to know student-athletes, members of Greek life, and students all over campus.
    One thing that I notice is upper-classmen making it a point to help newcomers to organizations learn the roots and traditions of the organization and guide them along the path to success.
    I was in the president’s office during the tweet chat event, and in my head I was thinking “pay it forward” as Dr. Ambrose said it.
    I’ve not had things handed to me in life.  I’ve had to work for everything I have and I appreciate the people that have helped me along the path to where I am now.
    One thing I always try to do, when I have good fortunes, is to pay it forward to the people around me.
    Hearing the president of my university echo my own credos when asked what the best piece of advice he’s ever received is a moment I will never forget, and one of the many reasons I’m proud to go to UCM.