Jennies softball splits on day two of invitational

(DURANT, Okla.) – Jennies softball (3-1) split a pair of games on day two of the Southeastern Regional Invitational at the Durant Multi-Sports Complex Saturday, winning 5-4 against Arkansas Tech before dropping game two to Ouachita Baptist, 4-2.
The Jennies fell behind 4-0 in game one against the Arkansas Tech Golden Suns after they plated a run in the top of the first and three in the top of the second.
UCM cut the lead to 4-1 in the bottom of the fourth when Braylyn Bivens scored on a throwing error by Arkansas Tech.
Both teams went scoreless in the fifth inning and the Jennies defense kept the Golden Suns off the scoreboard in the top of the sixth to keep the game at 4-1 heading into the bottom half of the inning.
The Jennies loaded the bases in the sixth after Bivens was hit by a pitch and Alex Groeger reached on an error by the Golden Suns. Jill Lucas was hit by a pitch to fill the bases with one out and Ashlea Bengtson coming to the plate. Bengtson blasted a grand slam on the second pitch, scoring four runs to give the Jens the 5-4 lead heading into the final inning.
Jennies pitcher Katie Shockley then sealed the win, pitching a scoreless seventh to pick up her first save of the season.
In game two against Ouachita Baptist the Jennies fell behind 2-0 when the Tigers plated runs in second and third innings. UCM was able to cut the OBU advantage to 2-1 in the bottom of the sixth when Jakki Prater grounded out to second, scoring Medora West, but the Tigers answered in the top of the seventh with a pair of runs to extend the lead to 4-1. The Jens plated a single run in the bottom half of the inning, but that was all they could muster, giving OBU the 4-2 win.
The Jennies return to action Sunday for the final day of the Southeastern Regional Invitational. They will face Southeastern Oklahoma at noon and Henderson State to close out the tournament at 4 p.m.