Laban Sialo sets new record at UCM Mule Relays

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – A 15-year old Multipurpose Building record fell on the second day of the UCM Mule Relays. Distance runner Laban Sialo won the 3,000-meter run in 8:21.85, breaking Alexandr Alexin’s 1998 record by .08 seconds, which is the top time in the MIAA this season.
The Mules posted nine provisional marks throughout the day, with senior Brent Vogel leading the way with four provisionals. Sialo also earned a provisional mark.
Vogel posted his first with a win in the men’s pole vault, at 15-5, good for 28th nationally. The Oak Grove native then earned back-to-back provisionals in the 60-meter hurdles preliminaries and finals, with times of 8.28 and 8.18, respectively. Finally, Vogel won the 800-meter run with a time of 1:55.43, earning his fourth provisional of the day.
Junior heptathlete Ethan Warren started the day off by winning the heptathlon with a provisional score of 4,815 points. Warren led the event after day one of the Mule Relays, and captured the victory with a fifth-place result in the 60-meter hurdles, second place in the pole vault, and seventh place in the 1,000-meter run.
A pair of Mules earned provisionals in the high jump, led by junior Devin Claypool’s winning mark of 6-10.75. Claypool now ranks eighth in the nation in the high jump, and second in the MIAA. Freshman Konnor Cordes also reached a provisional mark, clearing the bar at 6-8.75, and placing third.
Finally, Zak Thompson earned the lone provisional mark for the Mules in the throwing events, winning the shot put with a throw of 55-2.25. Thompson improves upon his provisional set two weeks ago at the UCM Classic, and moves up to eighth-best in the nation and second-best in the MIAA.
The Mules and Jennies hit the road next week, when they compete at the Iowa State Classic Friday, Feb. 8.