Mules basketball beat Griffons 72-60 for seventh straight win

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — The Central Missouri Mules ran their winning streak to seven games with a 72-60 win over Missouri Western Wednesday night at the UCM Multipurpose Building.
The win improves UCM’s record to 13-3 overall and 7-1 in MIAA play.
The Griffons (7-10, 3-6 MIAA) jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead, but the Mules responded with a 19-3 run to open a 19-7 lead at the 14:24 mark.
Missouri Western didn’t back down as they came back with an 11-2 run to pull within three with 11:07 to play.
The Griffons pulled to within a pair at 29-27 with five and half to play in the opening period, but the Mules scored six of the final 10 points of the frame and led 35-31 at the break.
Dominique Long drained a three out of the intermission as the Mules opened the second half on a 9-3 run to open a 10-point lead with 15:26 to play in the game.
The Griffons were able to get back within seven at 48-41 with 13:13 remaining, but could get no closer. The Mules pushed the lead back to 12 at the 7:50 mark at 59-47.
MWSU got the lead back to single digits at 61-52 with 6:57 to go, but the Mules used a 7-0 run to push the lead back to 16 as they coasted to their seventh straight win.
Long and Charles Hammork led the Mules with 15 points apiece. Widgett Washington chipped in 13 points to along with six assists and Matt Webb finished with 11 points.
The Mules shot 49 percent for the game, 24-of-49, including 58 percent in the second half. UCM was 8-of-20 from beyond the arc for 40 percent and made 16-of-26 free throws for 62 percent.
The Mules had 13 assists and 13 turnovers.
Cedric Clinckscales led the Griffons with a game-high 21 points, while Adarius Fulton poured in 17 points. MWSU shot 40 percent from the field, 25-of-62, but the Griffons were just 4-of-21 from three-point range for 19 percent. Western made 6-of-14 from the charity stripe for 43 percent.
The Griffons had 10 assists and 11 turnovers and also had seven steals.
The Mules are back in action at 3:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon when they host Northwest Missouri at the UCM Multipurpose Building.