Mateo, Neely claim titles at Missouri Valley Invitational

(MARSHALL, Mo.) – Wrestlers Eric Mateo and Clarence Neely highlighted four Mules place-finishers at the Missouri Valley Invitational Saturday in Marshall.
Mateo went 3-0, claiming the 141-pound individual title. Neely went 4-0 on his way to the individual title at 184 pounds.
Todd Brier and Tim Tuaquoi were the other place-finishers for the Mules, placing fifth at 197 and 285 pounds, respectively. As a team, the Mules finished sixth out of 16 teams.
Mateo began his run to the 141-pound title by taking a 7-2 decision against Oklahoma Christian’s Trevor Sterling. He advanced to the semifinal match against Maryville’s Tyrell Galloway where he rolled into the title match, taking an 11-1 major decision.
Mateo faced Truman’s James Maus in the title tilt and claimed the title with a 3-2 decision victory.
Neely, wrestling in his first tournament as a Mule, started off the day with a 15-6 major decision against Oklahoma Christian’s Cody Sivertsen. He then pinned Grandview’s AJ Mott at 4:10 to advance to the semifinal match with Missouri Valley’s Brett Bader.
Neely battled to a 6-2 decision against Bader to earn a spot in the title match against Oklahoma Christian’s Mitchell Eichenauer. The Blue Springs, Mo., native edged out Eichenauer for the title, claiming an exciting 13-12 decision.
The Mules return to action Thursday when they travel to St. Charles, Mo. to face Lindenwood in an MIAA dual.