Annual MLK Gospel Concert set for Monday at UCM

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The public is invited to a free gospel concert Monday as one of several events planned by the University of Central Missouri to celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
The 14th annual MLK Gospel Concert is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Monday in Hendricks Hall.
The gospel concert is one of several events planned as part of the university’s 2013 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration. Vocalist Emily Russell will be the featured soloist. Also planned are inspirational performances by the Praise Teams from Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church of Warrensburg, the First United Methodist Church of Warrensburg and Jesus Saves Pentecostal Church Sanctuary Choir.
This year’s concert is jointly sponsored by UCM Diversity Office and the Performing Arts Series.
In addition to the gospel concert, the annual celebration also features the Freedom Scholarship Dinner at 6 p.m. Tuesday. Former Virginia Gov. L. Douglas Wilder, the first elected African American governor, will be the featured speaker. Proceeds from the dinner fund the annual scholarships for area high school seniors and UCM students.
For more information about the gospel concert, call the Performing Arts Series at 660-543-4263.
Tickets are available for the Freedom Scholarship Dinner by contacting the Office of Diversity at 660-543-4156. More information about the UCM 2013 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. celebration is available at www.ucmo.edu/diversity/mlk.