Kids navigating the digital playground that is social media

Opinion series: Part one
Photo by Luke Rennison

In today’s digital age, social media has woven itself into the fabric of our lives, becoming a virtual bridge that connects generations. From kids to the elderly, these platforms offer unique experiences and challenges. Let’s explore the world of social media through the eyes of two individuals from different generations, shedding light on how it impacts their lives.

Exploring the world of social media through the eyes of young minds, I had the pleasure of chatting with a vibrant 13-year-old who proudly labels herself a social media enthusiast that I had the pleasure of dancing with on my old dance team in Raytown.

The teens eyes lit up with excitement as she shared, “Social media feels like having a window to the world right in my pocket. I can connect with my friends, stay in the loop with the latest trends, and even stumble upon exciting new hobbies.”

Platforms such as Instagram and TikTok have become her digital playground, where inspiration and entertainment abound. However, this digital adventure is not without its hurdles. Her mother, Mrs. Kovaleski, joined our conversation and candidly expressed her concerns. “I worry about the impact of social media on her self-esteem,” she said. “It seems like she’s always comparing herself to others online, and it can get overwhelming.” Her daughter nodded in agreement, sharing her own thoughts. “Sometimes, I feel this immense pressure to fit in and post perfect pictures. Finding the right balance between being myself and chasing what’s popular can be a real challenge,” she said.

Navigating the world of social media as a young adolescent is indeed a tightrope walk. Peer pressure and concerns about self-image are ever present companions on this journey. It’s a place where young people often juggle with the desire to be themselves while conforming to the ideal images we find easily online. Yet, it’s also crucial to recognize the positive aspects of social media in a young person’s life. For the teen, it’s not just about comparison; it’s a space where she finds support, discovers her passions and interests, and even makes
new friends who share her hobbies. Social media can be a platform for creativity, self-expression, and building connections beyond geographical boundaries. Mrs. Kovaleski, while concerned, understands the value of social media in her daughter’s world. “We have ongoing conversations about digital etiquette, online safety, and the importance of self-love” she explained. “It’s a learning process for both of us as we navigate this ever-evolving digital landscape together.”

In the end, social media is like a double-edged sword for young minds. It can bring both joy and challenges. Finding the right balance, staying true to oneself, and maintaining a supportive environment are the keys to making the most of this digital world. “Social media has its ups and downs, but it’s a part of my world. With help and self-love, I bet we can all make it a positive experience,” the teenager said.