UCM Multipurpose Building to be Renamed Jerry M. Hughes Athletics Center

On Aug. 21, University of Central Missouri Board of Governors approved the renaming of the Multipurpose Building to the Jerry Hughes Athletic Center. This decision was made in honor of UCM’s former Vice President of Intercollegiate Athletics, Jerry Hughes. 

Though many in Warrensburg and UCM still mourn the loss of Hughes, it brings opportunity to come together and continue to build UCM’s historic athletics. Matt Howedeshell, current vice president of intercollegiate athletics, continues to find ways to honor Hughes and keep his legacy alive amongst the Warrensburg community.   

“We want to do all that we can to properly recognize Jerry and all of his contributions he made to UCM,” Howedeshell said.  

The unveiling of the name is currently set for Hall of Fame weekend, February 17; with a formal presentation of the building along with other events to commemorate Hughes that will be announced at a later date. 

Hughes devoted over 40 years of his career to UCM and 30 of those years as UCM Athletic Director and Vice President of Intercollegiate Athletics. Kirk Peterson, Coach of both Mules and Jennies track and field and cross country, first met Hughes when he was a graduate student at UCM in 1987. 

“With the years he spent here, it could have even been done before he passed away because he was such a big part of this process,” Peterson said. 

Built in 1976, UCM’s Multipurpose Building is home to UCM’s Mules and Jennies basketball, Mules wrestling, Jennies volleyball, and Mules and Jennies indoor track and field. With a seating capacity of 6,500, it is one of the largest in the MIAA Conference. 

Senior UCM Jennies volleyball player, Jackie Storm, is glad to hear the decision to change the name and help UCM remember Hughes for a long time. 

“Naming the Multipurpose Building after Jerry Hughes couldn’t be more fitting,” Storm said. “He was supportive of our team and I know all the athletes here loved having him around to cheer us on.”