Recycling Returns to Campus

University of Central Missouri’s Assistant Manager of Custodial Facilities Shannon Weaver at her office. Weaver said one of the goals for returning recycling to campus is to sustain a good environment for students.

As part of the strategies to conserve resources and protect the campus environment, the University of Central Missouri has returned to the use of recycling bins on campus. Many believe there are gains bringing back recycling on campus. Lalithya Goud Burra, a graduate student in the School of Industrial Science and Technology, described the provision of the recycling bins on campus as a good development.

“Understanding the value of recycling and waste prevention in the current atmosphere is crucial for lowering your environmental impacts,” Burra said. “It is also very important to educate the people on the gains of recycling and how the waste can be sorted while disposing of them.”

Assistant Manager of Custodial Facilities Shannon Weaver said the university stands to gain a lot from recycling in addition to environmental cleanliness. Weaver said the re-introduction of recycling on campus will help the university’s environment be more litter-free, cleaner and livable to everyone.

“I coordinate with students, faculty and staff and make sure that they are aware of what can be recycled in the large containers and what cannot,” Weaver said. “I also make sure that they are aware of the pro-shred bins we have. It’s a good opportunity for everyone to jump in and help our environment and make sure we have a clean Earth to give to our next generation.”

On where the recycling bins are located on the campus, Weaver said the large recycle bins are located behind the Wood Building, there is another one at Fitzgerald Hall and there is another at Ellis Hall. 

Weaver, who reiterated the long-term goals that UCM plans to achieve by bringing back the bins in the university environment, said currently there are no plans to add any more bins around campus.

“At this time, we want to see how these work before we proceed any further. Just to keep our environment as litter free as possible and to sustain a good environment,” Weaver said. “We want to make sure future generations have a clean place to come to school and live.” 

The assistant manager added she could not ascertain the cost of recycling because it depends on the usage. “I know it [usage] depends on how often the recycle bins are emptied and at this time it is only the second month they’ve been in place so I can’t tell you what the cost is.” 

Weaver said when the bins are emptied, they go to Harrisonville. “They bring a container with them, that way they can place the empty container and take the full one back and it is sorted in Harrisonville. The benefit of course, is to keep our environment clean, keeping it sustainable.”

She said that the major task is to make people know what can go into recycling to make the recycling culture easy to implement.

“We go through a lot of paper and it makes me feel good to be able to recycle that instead of it going to a landfill,” Weaver said. “The only drawback is making sure people are aware of what can go in the recycling dumpsters. Otherwise, it would be a waste of time if they are putting the wrong stuff in the dumpsters because they would have to be taken to a landfill instead.”

UCM student Mackenzie Rademacher said that the change will make recycling easier for her and other students she knows.

“I feel like people will use it, instead of just throwing everything away,” Rademacher said. “I know the past couple of years a lot of people have been complaining about not having recycling. It makes you feel like you’re doing something instead of just being passive.”