UCM Confirms Prohibition of Marijuana Use

On Thursday, Dec. 8, the UCM News Bureau released information on the University of Central Missouri’s policy about recreational and medical marijuana use. 

According to the News Bureau, “UCM will continue to prohibit marijuana on campus in alignment with federal law and constitutional amendments.”

Recently, Missouri voted to pass Amendment 3 on the ballot in the 2022 midterm elections, which legalized statewide recreational use of marijuana for those 21 years and older. This amendment became effective on Dec. 8 as well.

Nevertheless, the statement mentions that UCM has to make considerations for federal law, since UCM receives federal funds. Marijuana is still considered a Schedule 1 controlled substance at the federal level.

Marijuana use off-campus is not restricted, however, students and employees under the influence or in the possession of marijuana will continue to be disciplined in accordance with university policy and even criminal prosecution. This also prohibits university employees who are off campus from marijuana use while working for UCM.

Muleskinner staff has reached out to University President Roger Best for comment, but did not receive a statement at the time of publication. This story will be updated one staff receives further comment from the University.