ASQ Hosts Conference at UCM

Experts and students presented solutions to the challenges of waste reduction at the 14th Annual Quality Management Conference on Sept. 29. 

The event also featured a UCM facility tour, student poster competition display and presentations and expert panel discussion on various issues in waste reduction approaches.

At the conference, organized by the UCM branch of the American Society for Quality with support from ASQ Kansas City, experts explained how technology could be applied in waste reduction. 

The presenters spoke about all kinds of waste, from manufactured waste to wasting time. They noted how these could all be reduced and possibly eliminated in order to achieve quality production at a minimal cost.

Speaking at the event, Mike Miller, a Quality Manager at Webco Manufacturing, said that there are different kinds of waste that every industrial manager must understand and learn how to deal with in order to achieve quality products with zero or minimal waste. 

He listed extra processing, overproduction, inventory, waiting, transport, motion and defects as some of the common types of waste experts need to deal with in a manufacturing company.

Lyndon Davis, Director, Shareholders Service, Webco Manufacturing, described talent waste as another form of waste which, according to him, is the underutilization of skills and knowledge.

“Talent waste might well be the vector that creates or at least affects all other types of waste,” he said.

Other student speakers such as John Yutz, and Amber Bryd, shared their research papers. While Yutz’s presentation was titled “Questioning the electric vehicle: Power plant batteries, and other roadblocks to the success of the electric vehicle,” Bryd’s work was titled “Implementation of automated barcode labeling system in manufacturing facilities.”

At the conference, 11 groups presented their work in the poster competition. The poster presentation titled “Implementing 5S Techniques in our daily lives,” presented by Zalianu Mamman, Rajeshwari Siddipeta, and Sri Harsha Ummedisetti, won the competition. 

Speaking on the gains of membership of the ASQ by the students, Suhansa Rodchua, a professor in the School of Technology, said that being a member of the ASQ helps students to grow as a quality professional through educational advancement and networking. 

She said, “The ASQ Kansas City section has been a great support since the [UCM student] branch started in 2009. I highly appreciated their generosity and kindness to our students.”

The UCM branch of ASQ has been named the Outstanding Student Branch for the 4th consecutive year by ASQ Region 13. 

She said that the ASQ website and conference provide exclusive access to knowledge and skills development, Lean Six Sigma tools and techniques, solutions and resources to solve challenges, and enhance professional networks.

An award of recognition was presented to Rodchua by ASQ for her contributions to the development of students in quality management.

Rodchua said, “I feel honored and privileged to serve the ASQ-UCM student chapter in the past 14 years. Working with students, younger generations, and seeing them grow professionally with a strong foundation and values helped to fulfill my purpose and a sense of accomplishment.”