Making Contact: Mules Defeat the Lions 20-17

Photo by Addison Hammons

Redshirt Junior running back Weston Bridges excels down the field through linebacker Richard Jordan Jr. of Missouri Southern State University. UCM won their Homecoming football game 20-17.

As the Mules football team geared up for Saturday’s historic game, University of Central Missouri students also took part in the tradition of UCM Homecoming. From voting, or running for Homecoming king and queen, to set up for the wide variety of events held during the week
of Homecoming, students shared the experience and responsibilities of a schedule-packed week.
Jacob Banks, a student considering transferring to UCM after finishing his two-year degree, appreciated witnessing the bustling campus for the first time.
“When people think of Homecoming, I feel like they always think about the bigger division one schools like Mizzou,” said Banks. “But now that I’ve seen the amount of just exciting opportunities that are here at UCM, I’ve realized how much it means to everyone.”

Homecoming at UCM features events such as painting spirit windows, Homecoming royalty, a bowling competition and various charity events. This year, Sigma Pi member Michael Cadwell won the race for Homecoming king, making Sigma Pi back-to-back winners, while Sigma Kappa’s Adrian Chinn was named queen.
Many believe the most popular event, other than the football game itself, is the Homecoming day parade.
Junior football player, Caleb Lapsley, said that “the football game is Homecoming. Without it, there is no Homecoming.”