UCM Community Celebrates at MuleFest

On the evening of April 22, UCM students and Warrensburg residents enjoyed live music, snow cones, and more at Mulefest. Hosted at Selmo Park, the festival featured various performers, most of which were UCM students.

Junior Digital Media Production major and country music artist Jayson Orr said he was glad to get the opportunity to play his music. 

“I love playing outdoors, and this is the first time I’ve gotten to play outdoors in a long time,” Orr said. “Probably since COVID, so I was really happy about that.” 

While the performances were the spotlight of Mulefest, students were also able to partake in activities such as spray painting, volleyball and cornhole. If students got too hot in the April sun, they could also head over to the free snow cone stand or grab water from a separate stand.   

These activities proved to be just another way for students to decompress and relieve some stress before hitting the books again during the final two weeks of classes.

“It doesn’t have to be incredibly organized, just something to come sit out and chill,” Hollie Neuman, junior theatre design and technology major, said. “It’s a good time, especially before finals.”

Mulefest was primarily organized by Kourtney Honey. As the chair of the programming committee, Honey was responsible for making sure that everything went smoothly during the festival. 

“Immediately, in May, I was like I’m doing this again,” Honey said. “So I started the planning. I just loved how it brought everyone together.”

Overall, Mulefest showed students the importance of on-campus events. The performances, refreshments and activities proved to be a new and fresh experience for both UCM students and local residents.